Just another item off of the To-Do list. When I moved the list of demon names, I only tested it in MT1. But loading a save from MT2 just displayed empty space for names. This is fixed now, and here's a picture.
While testing this, I also noticed another thing that needed to be added. Whenever you enter a city or village, it displays the name in the upper-left corner. The game always seems to have more text drawing routines than it should, and this was a new one that I missed. So I changed this one too, and now it looks like this.
Looking over the old To-Do list, some things have been taken care of while there are others to add to it.
- Fix name display for status screens, combat and fusion menu.
- Fix demon class and name display for combat and analyzer.
- Translate the Game Over screen, and replace the graphics just like in the intro.
- Finalize names for demons, items and spells.
- Work on further compressing text in dialogue.
- Make sure that strings display correctly with new dialogue.
- Verify that item names work in shops and equip screen.
- Change the font used in the intro and title screen.
- Fix the flickering when drawing 8x8 text.
- Figure out what to do with decidedly Japanese names (Jakyou Manor, demon class names).
For the High Priority items, I didn't want to have to do it, but it looks like I'll have to work on #1 next. It's a real show-stopper, and shouldn't be too hard to fix, but it's gonna be long and boring.
I have an idea for handling #5, but I can see a potential for breaking some other things in the game, which is why #6 and #7 have been added to the list. Instead of compressing the text, I may just move it out somewhere so that I'll have all the room I need. The game has built-in routines to print text from other areas, so I'll just tweak it a bit.
Things are starting to get more interesting now. After these things are taken care of, I might finally be able to play through MT1 in English. :)