Thursday, April 17, 2008

First post & status report


I hear kids today use these things called "web logs" to make their marks on the internet. So I'm going to set one up for this translation project. Hopefully it will serve many purposes: to get feedback and help on the project, to show what's been done or what's being worked on, and to display any interesting information on the game or series.

As a current progress report, most of the programming work has been done. I'm still reviewing the lists for enemies, spells and items in order to finalize their naming and spelling. Once I finish that, I can put them into the game and test it to see how they display.

What I really need right now is a hero translator to go over the massive script for Megami Tensei 1 and 2. This would let me concentrate on the coding aspect of the project, instead of constantly poring over a dictionary trying futilely to do the translating myself. I can wait a long time for this, as it gives me time to enjoy other things. But if it takes longer than a few months, I'll have to bite the bullet and go through with my own translation, and ask for help on the most difficult passages.

It doesn't help that this is an old game on an outdated system. And it's ironic that a Japanese-speaking person who would've wanted to play this game would be able to do so without the need for a translation. So the perfect translator would be someone who likes playing old games and can produce work for the enjoyment of others.

Anyway, this should be enough of a starter to get me used to this blogging. I'll create some other posts to fill in the gaps.

No comments: